1/16: introductions, discussion: “Hysterical Realism” and “How We Read”; Class questions/practices/themes; twitter and blogging, expertise projects, syllabus. Whew!
- DUE FRIDAY, 1/18: send twitter handle to Kim, Post initial tweet and Blog Post #1: Introduction
- Read Mr. Peanut and introduction to Richardson, Brian. Unnatural Voices: Extreme Narration in Modern and Contemporary Fiction. (optional: read conclusion). Tweet accordingly.
- DUE TUESDAY, 1/22 @ midnight: comments on introductory posts; write Blog Post #2 (see social media work for detailed instructions)
1/23: discuss Mr. Peanut, Richardson. Expertise Project #1
- Read The Uses of Enchantment. Experiment with the Eliza Game (http://www.ifiction.org/games/playz.php). Tweet accordingly.
- Optional (but know SOMETHING about it): Berlant, Lauren. “Introduction: Intimacy, Publicity, and Femininity.” The Female Complaint: The Unfinished Business of Sentimentality in American Culture
- Post comments, Write Blog Post #3
1/30: Discuss The Uses of Enchantment, Berlant. eliza game. Expertise Project #2
- skim A Study in Scarlet (any edition); view Sherlock, Season I.
- read Part II: The Literary Experience in Visual Cultures.” Bring on the Books for Everybody: How Literary Culture Became Popular Culture. Tweet accordingly.
- Post comments, Write Blog Post #4
2/6: Discuss Sherlock Season I; A Study in Scarlet, Collins Skype chat. Expertise Projects #3.
- View Sherlock, Season II. Investigate paratextual materials (see Expertise Project #5). Tweet accordingly.
- Optional (but know SOMETHING about it): Gray, Jonathan. “Introduction: Film, Television and Off-Screen Studies,” and “Chapter 1, From Spoilers to Spinoffs: A Theory of Paratexts.” Show Sold Separately: Promos, Spoilers, and Other Media Paratexts.
- Post comments, Write Blog Post #5
2/13: Discuss Sherlock, Season II, Gray, media paratexts. Expertise Projects #4 and #5.
- Read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, tweet accordingly.
- Optional (but know SOMETHING about it): Saldivar, Ramon. “The Second Elevation of the Novel: Race, Form, and the Postrace Aesthetic in Contemporary Narrative.”; Turk, Tisha. “Intertextuality and the Collaborative Construction of Narrative: J.M. Coetzee’s Foe.”Post comments,
- Write Blog Post #6
2/20: Discuss The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Saldivar, Turk. Expertise Project #6 and #7, Exploratory Draft Assignment.
- view Melancholia at least once. Review the Yale Film Studies Site for language about film techniques and meaning.
- Read “Melancholia, or the Romantic Anti-Sublime” Steven Shaviro, Sequence 1.1 (2012) http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/sequence1/1-1-melancholia-or-the-romantic-anti-sublime/ Tweet accordingly.
- Post comments, Write Blog Post #7
2/27: Discuss Melancholia, Shaviro. Expertise Project #8.
***Friday, 3/1: social media portfolio due via email. Exploratory Drafts due no later than Friday, 3/8.
3/6 MID-WINTER BREAK!
3/13 CLASS CANCELLED FOR CCCConference.
- Begin move from Exploratory Draft to rough draft of paper.
- Read Seven Types of Ambiguity. Learn something about William Empson’s theory of ambiguity. Tweet accordingly.
- Write Blog Post #8
3/20 Discuss Seven Types of Ambiguity, Empson. Expertise Project #9.
- View Beginners; review Yale Film Studies Site as necessary. Work on rough drafts! Tweet accordingly.
- Post comments; write Blog Post #9
3/27 Discuss Beginners
- Prepare for workshop.
- Post comments, Write Blog Post #10—tentative thesis, research, implications for paper!
4/3 —Draft workshop; ***Rough draft Due FRIDAY APRIL 5 at noon!!***
- Read Chronic City. Tweet accordingly.
Optional (but know SOMETHING about it): “The ‘Scanty Plot’: Orwell, Pynchon, and the Poetics of Paranoia;” AND “The Return of Omniscence in Contemporary Fiction”
- Post comments; write Blog Post #10
- schedule optional conference.
4/10—Discuss Chronic City, Rosenfeld. Expertise Project #10; Dawson, Paul. “The Return of Omniscence in Contemporary Fiction.”Expertise Project #11
- Read Hayles handout
- Post comments, Write Blog Post #11 (last one! yaaaay!!)
4/17 Katherine Hayles @ EMPAC.
- finish paper!!
- ***Monday, 4/22 @ midnight: Final draft of paper DUE
4/24 reflective essay workshop
5/1: reflective essays and final social media portfolios due in class; presentations and discussion
5/8: Presentations and discussion